Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Updates to Setosha

The trick in working on updates to these books is in focusing on what the story is. When I picked my way through the chapter summary of Setosha, removing those things that didn't contribute to Corey liberating Setosha, I found a consistent pattern in my trimming: I was removing sub-plots that were involved with the wider war. This meant I had to take out the interaction between the Idenux Ship Lords and Families Intelligence. And Liz Elia just before her breakdown. And the Families Marines on New Republic. And the counterinsurgency actions by the Imperials on the planet. I kept in Tatiana Silversmith's attack on Medina and the aftermath of that; her actions were what gave Corey the idea she used in the skies over Setosha. I also kept in Arthene Devries; Greek Tragedy can be interesting to write, and it fit with one of the themes of what one person can do.

The result "officially" trimmed 14,000 words from the story, but it came to closer to 28,000 words.

The trick is to stay focused. Stay on those things that tell Corey's Story. If this was a book about the Liberation of Setosha it would be different. And who knows, maybe I'll lump all of those things I took out into another story. It worked for Tolkien.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always inspired by you, your views and attitude, again, thanks for this nice post.

- Norman