Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Getting on the Web

Two years ago I utilized the free space offered by MSN to create a Link Site where friends could go to get rules, story snippets and the like. After some thought, I've decided to go in a different direction. The Link Site is being Designated for Assignment. That means I have 10 days to either outright release it, trade it, or send it to the minors. As of yesterday I gave it its unconditional release.

I'm bringing in a new site (also on MSN). This will showcase bits and pieces of my writing. I have the bare bones up at the moment, at http://groups.msm.com/BruceBWrites. I will put up those things I published that are not for remuneration (mostly wargaming stuff), and snippets of other stories. At the moment I am planning on a lead chapter, probably in PDF or HTML. If the book is bought by a publisher, then I will include a link to Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Powell's City of Books.

This is a deliberate act to get parts of my writing in front of more people. To that end I have opened it up to everyone. I may regret that, but as a precaution I'm going to see about making an archive.

I will also see about making the design more than just the bare bones MSN groups page. To that end I'm going to fiddle with creating my own web page.

Will my gaming rules be there? King's War will be referenced and linked to a place where you can get them. If people want a copy of Little Big Battles they can e-mail me and I can send them a copy. When I finish the Gasbags Aloft! rules, I'll link those, too.

Will this take time from my writing? Not as much as you might think. I know something about web page design, and I'm making this so I can update it.

Will I eventually migrate somewhere else? Probably. First you get something out there, and then you adjust it as needed.

What about putting a whole book up there? No, not if I intend to sell it. At this time I will probably put Kalliste's Storytime up in its entirety. If I put a complete copy of anything else, then I can't offer a vast number of rights to the work.

Will I link to other sites? So far I've added a link to PNWA (www.pnwa.org) and this blog. I will probably add a few more.

What, exactly, will be there? So far the plans are to put the first chapter and a brief teaser for each completed story. I do not intend to put short stories there.

So more, later, I'm going to fiddle with the web page.

No comments: