Friday, March 28, 2008

Nearly Done!

I'm down to the last few chapters of the rewrite of Firestar. The plot has changed around a lot, there's a bit more action, and I've taken the trouble to draw out Corey's problem: how to win the war. And the key point is that while she doesn't single-handedly do that, she serves as the catalyst for those who can change the policies. That has taken a little more work than I'd anticipated.

Of course when I'm done I'll have to go back through it and see where I have inconsistencies and so on.

I think the only other thing that's new on the writing front is Little Lost Dryad, a short story in the dryad sequence that includes potential child abuse, and the revenge for that. I had a rather lame ending, but some of the feedback was pointed and direct, and has resulted in my rewriting parts of the beginning to put in more detail, and rewriting the ending completely. We'll see how it turns out, I'm not totally satisfied with it in this form, either.

What would make me satisfied? Hmm, good question. The ending has to be something that could only come about because the narrator is a dryad, that the narrator does, and is emotionally satisfying (a short story, for me, is as much about emotion as it is anything else). I did have one idea that was completely off the wall, and I may go with it just to see how it fits. We'll see.

No comments: