Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Monthly Status Report

Jeeze, I last did status reports when I had the 8-7:30 pm shift for a large company. I know it was supposed to be 8-4:30, but we had this project, see, and the rules went out the window (including kindness, civility, and respect for ones peers). Plus the Project Manager was more than a little out of his depth (can we say Challenger Deep is less shallow than other spots in the ocean?). But anyway, that memory aside, here is where we are.

Novels
Firestar - I am working my way through chapter 14 of a rewrite of Firestar. Corey is considering resigning from the Navy. Her Family is encouraging this, but not with the overt hostility she had before. I just cut 8 pages of pursuit out of the story. Instead I'm going to layer in some background. Part of the reason for the rewrite is I'm trying to take Corey in another direction. This is the third rewrite (top to bottom) of the story. When I finish it goes off to Steve Mancino. I will be taking chapter 2 with me on Monday night to Woodinville.

Setosha, Lexeon, Boabdil - pulled out from the Families Arc, but I haven't done much beyond that. I did trim Lexeon down quite a bit to focus the attention. This is where I got Boabdil.

Different World - I read the beginning 14 pages at Phinney Ridge Scribblers last week. I expect some interesting feedback, I already have what they said that night and have incorporated it. I'm still stuck on chapter 5, but mainly because I haven't tried to write more. I took out a whole chapter earlier about visiting a Bavarian timeline.

Three Valleys - Sammi - I am up through chapter 22. Sammi is settling on her boyfriend. The next chapter is the "Formal" (in our world, the prom). This will cement her decision.

Devlin's Story - Chapter 54 is awaiting editorial response. Chapter 55 is mostly in the can. Chapter 56 will be Thanksgiving at Evan's folk's in the Keys. 57 will be a fast-forward, to get to 58, when Evan first pitches in the Majors. Then will come the wrapping up. Projected, 60 chapters. This is really easy to write.

Crosstime Cop - still no word from Tor Books. Time for an inquiry. I've completed a top to bottom rewrite, and am now dropping in bits and pieces based on feedback. Rewrote Chapter 16 to show more development in Marge (mentioned it to Darlene, Laura and Sarah - they were very positive). Am considering other Marge stories. I can't show previous stories, because we know the characters survived.

Counterfeit Line - I've done nothing with the story. Steve Mancino's comment is still valid: I need more "sense of wonder/shock" when Gina realizes where she is. After that, time to ship it out again.

Kassandra's Song - time to ship it out again.

Short Stories
Still no word on Dover Street Bridge. Time for an inquiry. I touched up The Dragon Commission, and now have to find a home for it. And I did a quickie (I meant that word) in the same mode as Sammi and Devlin: Improving Office Morale. Currently pulling down a 9.41 with 38 votes on SOL. The initial impressions are the important ones. Got one comment - he liked the tone. I have a follow-on in mind already.

Ideas
I got an idea from Dealing with the Devil, a story set in Nick Scipio's Summer Camp universe (though not by Nick). Hayley Devlin gets murdered, or somebody like her, and the detective has to figure it out. The gimmick is that it happens on an alternate reality where magic works, and gives me a fantasy/cop story.

Overall
Time to get off my duff and sent some things out. Time will be a crunch. Priority must go to Firestar for development work.

No comments: